Bloomington Boogies: The Bloomington Blues & Boogie Woogie Piano Festival
Festival Details - "Bloomington Boogies: The Bloomington Blues & Boogie Woogie Piano Festival"...
Start: Saturday, August 13, 2022 9:00AM
End: Monday, August 15, 2022 6:00PM
Are you ready for the 6th Bloomington Boogies Festival? On August 13, 14, and 15, 2022, enjoy acclaimed musical artists at the Bloomington Boogies: The Bloomington Blues & Boogie Woogie Piano Festival! With two ticketed and many free performances and educational events, be prepared to be moved by the artistry of the musicians. Purchase concert tickets early – they usually sell out in advance.
The festival begins Saturday, Aug. 13, when all performances and events are free. Performances begin at the Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market at 9 a.m. and continue at WFHB’s “Saturday’s Child” at the Monroe County History Center at 11 a.m.
On Saturday afternoon two Master Classes take place: Judy Carmichael’s “Stride Piano” class begins at 2 p.m. at the History Center, and the Pedro Alderighi-Stephanie Trick Duo’s class, “How We Approach Jazz Piano,” begins at 4 p.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Church. Preregistration is required for participants and observers for these classes and music workshops during the festival, and the number of participants and observers is limited. Information and registration are at https://bloomingtonboogies.com/education.
Saturday activities conclude with free performances at Cardinal Spirits beginning at 7:30 p.m.
On Sunday, Aug. 14 there are two ticketed concerts at the Monroe Convention Center, 122 S. Walnut St., Bloomington; the first begins at 1:30 p.m., the second at 5:00 p.m. Tickets are available at the BCT Box Office beginning May 25. General admission for adults for each concert is $25 in advance; or purchase the "all-day pass" - tickets to both concerts - for a total of $40 when purchased in advance; tickets for seniors (65+), students (6-17), and children are reduced in price. No all-day passes will be sold on the day of shows.
Artists to perform in the ticketed concerts include
• C.J. Chenier – Zydeco accordionist/vocalist son of Clifton Chenier
• Judy Carmichael – Grammy-nominated interpreter of stride and swing
• Daryl Davis – Recording artist/actor, blues, boogie, and rock pianist
• Rob Rio – “Boss of the Boogie" and jump blues of the 40s & 50s
• Sunpie” Barnes - New Orleans multi-instrumental Zydeco accordionist
• Stephanie Trick & Paolo Alderighi – Harlem stride and jazz piano duo
• Lolly Allen – Up-and-coming award-winning vibraphonist
• Keith McCutchen – Pianist and composer with roots in Gospel and blues
• Ben Toury – French pianist with showmanship, strength, and speed
• Michael Drexler – Multi-genre Grammy-nominated pianist/composer
• Monika Herzig – Composer and award-winning Bloomington pianist
• Rhythm Section: Gordon Bonham/guitar, Joe Donnelly/sax, Ron Kadish/bass, Dan Hostetler/drums, and Lori Brenner/rubboard and additional percussion
• Caroline Podetti – French professional swing dancer
• Free Performers in the Lobby before and between ticketed concerts - Cass Hart, Kid Kazooey, Ross Martinie Eiler, Peter Bailey & more
• “Finale” with all performers. Performers subject to change
Sunday performances conclude at 8 p.m. with no cover charge at the informal “Bloomington Boogies After Hours” at Malibu Grill on the Square.
On Monday, Aug. 15, students at Fairview Elementary, Templeton Elementary, Jackson Creek Middle School, and Tri-North Middle School will enjoy free concerts at school by festival artists. The festival concludes after school with free workshops at each school. For information about workshops and preregistration, visit https://bloomingtonboogies.com/education.
Major Festival Sponsors: Bloomington Arts Commission, Visit Bloomington, Carmin Parker P.C., The Stardance Band - Mark Wiedenmayer, and Jonathan Dyson.
Festival Underwriters: David Carter, Tim & Cheri DeBruicker, Robert Kissel’s Foundation, Richard and René Malone, Tom Noonan, Bloom Magazine, IU Credit Union Investment Services, Ivy Tech Community College Bloomington, Maple Grove Farms LP, Monroe Convention Center, Mother Bear’s Pizza, The Ryder, The Uptown Café.
Additional Supporters listed at festival website.
Have a Question About this Festival? Send Us an Email »
Events Provided by: EVVNT