Start: Friday, June 24, 2022 5:30PM
End: Sunday, June 26, 2022 4:00PM
Visitors flock to Maine from around the globe to enjoy our world-class seafood, and Maine oysters are no exception. Celebrate this tasty and environmentally critical bivalve with us in Freeport on June 24 – 26, 2022 when we launch this celebration of Maine oysters featuring sea farmers representing fisheries from Ogunquit to Corea.
There are now more than 150 oyster farms dotting Maine’s 3,500 mile long coastline. Oysters grow slowly in Maine’s cold waters, and that gives them more time to soak up the flavors in their home waters. Differences in the food they eat as well as the temperature and salinity of the water produce a wide variety of flavor characteristics from farm to farm. The Maine Oyster Festival will be the first oyster festival in Maine celebrating oysters and the people who farm them from up and down the entire Maine coast!
What to expect:
- Dozens of sea farms will be shucking and serving oysters grown up and down the entire Maine Coastline.
- A group of industry experts will be blind tasting oysters from all participating sea farms and awarding an Oyster of the Year Award.
- Oyster dishes will be on the menu in Freeport restaurants and festival food trucks with a People’s Choice Award up for grabs.
- Regional oyster farm tours departing from South Freeport.
- Shucking demonstrations & hands-on lessons.
- Shucking competitions, open to the public as well as professionals.
- Learn more about the science of oyster farming from the Maine Aquaculture Association and Maine Sea Grant.
- Shop with makers of Maine-made products used in serving or preparing oysters as well as products made from oyster shells, or other industry by-products.
- A Kelp Korner highlighting kelp as well as a sampling of other sustainably harvested Maine seafood.
- Educational activities hosted by Maine non-profits dedicated to keep Maine water’s safe & clean.
- Hands-on crafts for kids.
- Oyster cooking demonstrations by Maine chefs.
- Two evening events featuring live music, local craft beer & beverages and oysters!
Have a Question About this Festival? Send Us an Email »
Events Provided by: EVVNT